Saturday, September 3, 2011

Depression and Cushings Disease

If you suffer from depression, you may think, no one knows how you feel. At first, I did not realize it was depression.I just wondered, what was wrong with me. I kept on doing the usual things, like going to work; picking up the kids,fixing dinner and whatever else was on my long "to do list". There was one extra activity, crying. I cried when no one was looking. I did my best to avoid doing anything I did not have to. I would go to bed early at night so I could cry.

huntington's disease

After two years of suffering, I asked my husband to take me to the hospital. That day, I was dizzy and having problems with my vision. My potassium had gotten so low, that I most likely would have died if I had just stayed at home.

DISEASE

That day, I was diagnosed with Cushings disease. I realized all the symptoms added up to one rare disease. I was actually happy, just knowing what was wrong with me. The hopeless depression was starting to make sense. I just thought the 65 pounds I had put on was due to aging. I really could not figure out the hump on my back or the round face. I just thought it was due to weight gain. Some people wonder why it took me several years to get medical help. The answer was apathy, I just did not care. This is also a symptom of the disease.

There are different types of Cushings. My type of Cushings disease was caused by a tumor on the pituitary gland. These are usually benign, as mine was. My doctors put me on medication and scheduled surgery for a few weeks later. I was on medication for diabetes, thyroid, blood pressure, and depression. Two months later I went back to work. Going back to work was a life saver. It keeps your mind busy.

Depression was the worst part of Cushings disease. It has been 9 years since I have had surgery and I continue to deal with depression. It is mostly controlled by medication, but I have my days where I am unable to function because of it. My doctors have tried different medications but I keep going back to the same one that seems to work the best, but not perfect.

I have learned so much from having this disease, but one thing that surprised me so much, is the number of people who would say to me, I also suffer from depression.

If you suffer from depression, there is hope. Remember this word, HOPE and do not give up. It may seem like life is over, but there is always hope and you are not alone. Medication does work, you might have to try some different medications to get it right, but do not give up.

Depression and Cushings Disease

DISEASE

No comments:

Post a Comment